A tooth extraction or removal can be performed for many reasons. The extraction may be needed because a patient is dealing with a toothache caused by a tooth that has been badly damaged by decay or a painful wisdom tooth. In some cases, a dentist will remove a tooth to make space for dental prosthetics or braces.
A dentist’s primary goal is to save a tooth at all costs, and yet some situations call for a tooth’s complete removal in order to avoid compromising your overall dental health.
You can count on Hawley Lane Dental – a top-rated provider of extractions in Stratford, CT – to perform the task in a quick and painless manner. Patients not only from Stratford but also Trumbull and Bridgeport can visit our office for this procedure.
TEETH MAY NEED TO BE EXTRACTED FOR SEVERAL REASONS
- Decay: There may be times when cavities are too extensive or in a location that makes repairing the tooth difficult or impossible.
- Fracture: Teeth that are split or roots that are broken usually due to an emergency dental situation need to be extracted.
- Infection: When an infection does not heal or destroys the support for the tooth it may be healthier to have the tooth extracted.
- Bone Loss/Periodontal Disease: Teeth that have been affected by advanced periodontal disease may have a significant amount of loss of the bone that supports them. This may lead to the teeth moving or becoming loose. Teeth in this condition are given a poor prognosis and may be recommended for extraction.
- Orthodontic treatment: In cases of severe crowding or skeletal discrepancies, your orthodontist may recommend the extraction of one or more teeth to create enough space to align your teeth properly. This is important for certain cosmetic procedures, such as Invisalign.
- Impaction: Teeth that have not erupted into their proper location can affect the surrounding teeth. Your dentist will evaluate if removing these teeth will benefit your immediate and long term dental health.
IS A TOOTH EXTRACTION PAINFUL?
The thought of having teeth extractions done often makes people nervous. They may avoid the necessary treatment, making the possibility of pain or complications worse. Depending on the complexity and length of the procedure and your anxiety level, there are a number of options available for your comfort:
- Local Anesthesia: Traditionally known as “Novocain”, involves administering an anesthetic through a dental needle to numb a particular area of the mouth. Patients are fully awake, aware, and conscious during the procedure.
- Oral Sedative: Your dentist may be able to prescribe a pill for you to take prior to your appointment. There are several different medications available depending on your anxiety level and overall health. Patients will need to be driven to their appointments, as the effects of the sedative are not immediately worn off by the end of the procedure.
If you are experiencing tooth pain or discomfort, tooth extraction may be necessary. Please contact Hawley Lane Dental immediately at 203-377-9300 to schedule an appointment, and our Stratford tooth extraction specialists will be happy to help!